Monday, June 15, 2009

"Procrastination is the thief of time"

Procrastination: is a behavior which is characterized by a deferment of actions or tastes to a later time.


What can I say? Look procrastination up in a dictionary and you will find a picture of me. I am not proud of it. I have always been a procrastinator. I just didnt realize how bad I was until recently. I really need to work on this. I constantly put things off, which is silly, because these things are always going to need to be done. My " To Do" list is huge and oh so very over whelming :( I always put things off until the last second. And that is just terrible. So am I really a procrastinator or am I just lazy? Is there a difference between procrastination & lazy?? Well either way, I am a little of both. I took a moment and thought of a solution for myself. Its not a quick fix but its a gradual process. So because I oh so enjoy to make small little "to do" lists on post its, and then crossing out what I have done. I decided to make a couple lists of all the things I need to get done .

One list, in fact will be things that just need to get done every day. For instance:

Dishes~ The Problem: Hate them!! Not having a dish washer really sucks. One + is my hubby & I take turns on the dishes. When its his turn he does them right away after dinner. Me and my procrastinator self wait until the sink is full

The Solution: Get them done as they are dirty

laundry~ Problem: not a big fan of this, plus how can 1 man, 1 boy, 1 baby, and myself have so much laundry...its never ending

Solution: get it over with, and as long as there is laundry, Im just going to always keep it going, washer, dryer, fold, put away

Cooking~ Problem : Problem is I dont get off work until 6:00pm. Then I come home spend some time, catching up on the day my boys had without me, then I cook. By then I am tired. I love to cook when I have time, but on work nights, it just takes alot out of me, and takes time away from my boys. I go home, search for something to cook, and most of the time I am lacking some ingredient and have to go to the store, makes dinner time, rather late in my house

Solution : create a menu for the week, Every Sunday I will go on a big grocery run. get everything I can for the week to come, and then cook all that I can and freeze what I can. That should help?

Then there is the "big picture list". The list of things that are quite big, that take time.

Finish stripping and painting kitchen cabinets
re tile kitchen floor
Do a new Garden in the front yard
paint my bathroom
re do bathroom floor
re tile bathroom floor
Re paint boys room ( I just painted it 1 year ago, and I don't like it)
~ There is more... but I will stop

then there is :

The Two Week To Do List: Things that can,should, and will get done in two weeks

I am creating this two week list to stay realistic with myself, and not over whelm my self. So all the things I need to get done sooner then later will be on the 2 week list. So tonight, once the boys are in dream land, I will sit in peace and write my 2 week list... OK Here we go. Wish me luck

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan! Wishing you the best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I am going to try :)

    ReplyDelete